Total Pageviews

Friday, May 23, 2014

Twisters! A bunch of twisters!

I've seen a lot of movies, especially scary ones. Some thrill throughout; others don't thrill until the very end, when you thought the worst was over! I compiled a list of horror/suspense films with the best plot twists I have ever seen. In no particular order. Warning: possible "suggestive" spoilers. I don't really come out and say what the twists are. I do, however, hint at them a little. Particularly Jacob's Ladder.



DEAD AGAIN
What can I say? How about one  word: WOW! If you want to see a very suspenseful film with an ending that not only rivals The Sixth Sense, but may be better, look no further! I guarantee that you will not see this twist coming.

(Mike Church is a Los Angeles private detective who specializes in finding missing persons. He takes on the case of a mystery woman who he calls Grace. She is suffering from amnesia and has no memories of her own. She keeps having nightmares involving the murder of a pianist, Margaret, by her husband Roman Strauss in the late 1940s. In an attempt to solve the mystery about these nightmares, Church seeks the help of Madson who is an antiques dealer with the gift of hypnosis. The hypnosis sessions will soon begin to reveal some surprises.)

THE SIXTH SENSE
Another WOWSER! Although I'm pretty sure most of us know the twist in this one, unless you've been living under a rock all your life.
(Malcom Crowe is a child psychologist who receives an award on the same night that he is visited by a very unhappy ex-patient. After this encounter, Crowe takes on the task of curing a young boy with the same ills as the ex-patient. This boy "sees dead people". Crowe spends a lot of time with the boy (Cole) much to the dismay of his wife. Cole's mom is at her wit's end with what to do about her son's increasing problems. Crowe is the boy's only hope. )
 
 
 
 
JACOB'S LADDER
I saw this gem in the theater back in 1990 when I was ten or eleven. It's one of my top ten favorite movies, as well. It has a twist eerily similar to the Sixth Sense, but was made nine years before.
     
(Mourning his dead child, a haunted Vietnam vet attempts to discover his past while suffering from a severe case of disassociation. To do so, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, delusion, and perception of death.)
 
FRAILTY
 I saw this one in the theater when it came out, too. I gotta tell you, I DIDN'T SEE THE TWIST COMING! It hit me like a ton of bricks and gave me goosebumps. Perfect conclusion. Beware some people, because who's sure they're really people? See it!

(A man confesses to an FBI agent his family's story of how his religious fanatic father's visions lead to a series of murders to destroy supposed "demons.")

ORPHAN
I'd seen the trailers for this film on TV, but dismissed the movie entirely. I gotta be honest, it didn't look like anything interesting or new to me. Boy, was I wrong! The twist is very original and very shocking. Also an edge-of-your-seat thriller.

(A husband and wife who recently lost their baby adopt a 9-year-old girl who is not nearly as innocent as she claims to be.)

THE OTHERS
The twist at the end of this one is just chilling. In fact, a lot of things about this movie and that happen in it are very chilling. If you want smacked across the face while having a scare, check out The Others.

(A woman who lives in a darkened old house with her two photosensitive children becomes convinced that her family home is haunted.)

PSYCHO
The granddaddy of, not only suspense/horror films, but the first great twist in cinema history.  Thank you Blotch and  Hitchcock!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment